A series of short presentations on hardware, software, apps, and free or low-cost do-it-yourself technologies that have helped various members in their consultancy business. We will leave some time for impromptu audience contributions after the posted talks.
Advanced Integrated Circuits Enable Mobile Healthcare Solutions
Discussion on how the latest generation of compact, low power and cost efficient integrated circuits are enabling the next generation of mobile and edge node health monitoring applications.
Presenter: Mike Falter
Will Untangle be Your Internet Gateway?
- Book report on Christopher Dawson’s book, Internet Security You Can Afford: Using Untangle As Your Internet Gateway. (Boston, MA: Cengage Learning), 2015.
- Initial experiences getting started
- Taking a look at the online demo
Presenter: Frederick Beihold
Free and Low-cost Tools for Your Consulting Practice
- KiCad a free and open source schematic capture / PCB layout tool.
- Digilent’s Analog Discovery ($279)
- Two-channel USB digital oscilloscope (1MΩ, +/-25V, differential, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 30MHz+ bandwidth – with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
- Two-channel arbitrary function generator (+/-5V, 14-bit, 100MS/s, 12MHz+ bandwidth – with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board)
- Stereo audio amplifier to drive external headphones or speakers with replicated AWG signals
- 16-channel digital logic analyzer (3.3V CMOS and 1.8V or 5V tolerant, 100MS/s)
- 16-channel virtual digital I/O including buttons, switches, and LEDs – perfect for logic training applications
- Two input/output digital trigger signals for linking multiple instruments (3.3V CMOS)
- Network analyzer – Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a circuit. Range: 1Hz to 10MHz
- Spectrum Analyzer – power spectrum and spectral measurements (noise floor, SFDR, SNR, THD, etc.)
- Digital Bus Analyzers (SPI, I2C, UART, Parallel), and more…
Presenter: Larry Nelson
Mike Falter is the Principal of TechLaunch Strategies, a new venture working with companies on their business and technology commercialization strategies. Mike has 15 years of experience in the Semiconductor and Power Electronics industries in various Strategic Marketing, Systems Engineering and Business Development roles where he formulated strategic partnerships and defined customer
solutions based on industry leading embedded hardware, software and sensor solutions for Medical, Industrial, Energy and Consumer markets. Mike hold a BSEE and MBA.
Frederick Beihold started The Black Oak Group as sole proprietor in October 2013. He has 17 years experience in Electrical Engineering including RF Design and mostly passive Electromagnetic Applications. Before that he made measurements for 7 years at M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory as a technician followed by 4 years at ITT/Aerospace as an Engineering Assistant. Several technical papers bear his name either as author or in the acknowlegements. He is currently the IEEE Consultants’ Network Chair, Boston Chapter, and holds the B.A. and M.Sc. degrees.
Larry Nelson has had his own consulting company since 1980 and has published technical articles and created technical training programs for Universities as well as Industry. He has been granted several patents and is a licensed PE in the state of Massachusetts. He has served as an Expert Witness in several litigations and has advised insurance companies on several cases to determine root cause of failure. He is a Platinum level consultant with Microchip Corporation and has a broad technical background across many industries. He uses open source software for many things in his consulting practice and many of his tools are low cost, but very effective.
PLEASE NOTE: The meeting is open to the public. No charge for Consultants Network members or employees of Constant Contact; $5 entrance fee for all others. Casual dress.
The Consultants Network meeting starts at 6:30 PM. The meeting will take place at Constant Contact, Reservoir Place - 1601 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02451, in the Great Room on the third floor.
A no host, PRE-MEETING DINNER will take place at 5:15 PM (sharp) at Bertucci's, 475 Winter Street, Waltham, MA (exit 27B, Rte. 128)
Driving Directions to Constant Contact
Follow I-95/route 128 to Trapelo Rd in North Waltham, Waltham. Take exit 28 from I-95/route 128.(https://goo.gl/maps/tvn3I)
Consultants Network meetings generally take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month, but are not held during the summer months.
For more information, e-mail or contact the chairman Frederick Beihold, at 508-405-0499. firstname.lastname@example.org